With the days getting longer and the temperatures rising, it’s almost bathing suit and sundress season! Time to shed some of those winter pounds, right? I know we all have our old stand-by tactics for weight loss and sometimes they seem to work but often times they don’t. And what worked for losing weight in our 20s and 30s many times stop working as we get older. What’s up with that? Don’t panic! Today, I want to give you my top 5 weight loss mistakes you might be making.
My 15 Years of Training Experience
I’ve been a Personal Trainer in Dallas, Texas for over 15 years now. I’ve trained women exclusively in the gym, in their homes, high rise or even in the park. Women of all shapes and sizes have sought my help through the years. With my experience training so many different people, I’ve learned what works and what doesn’t when it comes to sustainable weight loss. I’ve seen it all!
The recipe for losing weight pretty much always includes the same ingredients, exercise more and eat less BUT it’s not always so cut and dried. And there are many pitfalls and mistakes that can be made with well meaning intentions. Not every formula works the same for every person either. So what is working for a friend of yours may NOT be what will work best for you. Let’s discuss what I feel are the weight-loss mistakes you could be making!
Weight Loss Mistakes You Could be Making
- You cut calories too fast – Diet is definitely one of the first things I discuss with a client when they’re wanting to lose body fat. It’s essential to scrutinize EVERYTHING someone is eating and drinking BUT a big mistake is cutting too many calories too quickly. Women tend to think if cutting some calories is good than slashing them is even better. NOT so! If we cut the calories too fast, our bodies will rebel and can go into a “starvation” mode, where your body wants to hold on to existing body fat as a protective mechanism. We have to find a delicate balance of cutting your intake without shocking your system too much. We need to eat, Ladies but we must eat the right things.
- Not Tracking Progress – Whether you’re measuring your weight on the scale, having your body fat tested, or having someone take your measurements, it’s crucial to get baseline numbers on where you’re starting. I personally do body fat testing with calipers to test my client’s body fat percentage. This is more helpful than scale weight alone because it gives us the break down of fat weight and muscle/lean mass. This way I can determine what type of weight someone is losing. Are they losing fat or is it muscle? This helps determine how we proceed with diet and suggested exercise. For example, if I notice that a client is losing muscle (not always good), I can recommend she increase her protein intake and perhaps cut back on the cardio or increase her weight training. Tracking progress along the way also helps keep you motivated when you can see the numbers changing!
- You blow it on the weekends – Are you someone who can stay focused all week but then let your hair down on the weekends? You may be making a common but BIG weight loss mistake! I see this ALL the time. Guys, if you’re blowing it out on the weekends with big meals and lots of alcohol, you’re actually forgoing all the hard work you put in during the week. If you can’t understand why you don’t seem to be losing weight despite being “good” during the week, I suggest you scrutinize your weekends. This is where most people completely sabotage their weight loss efforts.
- You Don’t Stick to One Program Long Enough – Did you know that when you’re just beginning to try to lose weight that you may not see ANY results for a few weeks?? Yes, I’ve seen it happen. You may be doing everything perfectly but for some reason it’s just not reflecting on the scale yet. So what do most of you do when you feel like something isn’t working…you give up too soon! I’ve had clients not see any changes in their weight for several weeks and then suddenly one day they’re down 5 lbs! You have to decide on a plan and STICK TO IT! Your body is going to respond on Mother Nature’s time frame, not yours. You MUST stay the course! Instant results are great but not realistic. Stay focused!
- You avoid weight training because you think it will make you bulky – Somewhere in the subconscious mind of many women, you avoid lifting weights because you don’t want to look like a body builder. Hahaha! This is science fiction, ladies. Let me set this record straight. The average woman who lifts weights has no way of looking like that. First of all, you probably don’t have the genetics for it and secondly, you’re not taking steroids! If there’s anything you take away from this post, let it be this. Your muscle is your number 1 FAT BURNER! Your muscle is crucial to your weight loss efforts, yet most women just want to stick to cardio. BIG MISTAKE. Weight training will become even more important the older you get too. We naturally lose muscle as we age and it’s critical to counteract that by keeping our muscles active. Muscle also contributes to an increase in metabolism. The higher your metabolism, the easier it will be for you to keep off unwanted fat.
I know lots of you are ready to get focused and lose weight. I say we need to train smarter, not harder! Avoiding these 5 weight loss mistakes will keep you from wasted efforts and lackluster results.
If you would like my help in getting into the BEST shape of your life, CONTACT ME here! I offer private Personal Training in Dallas, Texas.
Don’t live in Dallas? No worries! You can purchase one of my ONLINE Training Programs here! This is the perfect way to receive guidance from your very own Personal Trainer from the comfort of your own home. You can read my post about how my programs work here.
Thanks so much for reading today! If you enjoyed this post, please SHARE it with your friends!
P.S. All Blog Subscribers will receive a 10% off Coupon Code to be used for any of my ONLINE PROGRAMS! Sign up below!