Guys, I’m excited to share that this is a pretty big week for me….I’m turning the big 45! What?! How in the world did that sneak up on me? There’s just something about big milestone birthdays that can really get you thinking about your life, isn’t there?
I also started thinking about my MOST popular post “My Fountain of Youth Formula” and pondered why that resonated with so many of you. I knew I had more youthful secrets up my sleeve to share with you so I decided that this was the perfect opportunity to add a PART 2 to my formula.
We all want to look and feel younger no matter our age and I’m going to share some external tips but also some less obvious internal things that require us to turn inward too! True youth and vibrancy are conveyed not only through our appearance but also through ENERGY and our excitement for life! If you think about kids, they are the epitome of energy, excitement and curiosity about everything. If we can learn to tap into that endless supply again, we’ll be unstoppable and age will be something we can really just forget about!
My Fountain of Youth Formula Part 2!
Now I realize youth may be defined in many ways but I want to discuss some of the obvious signs of youth (healthy complexion, trim physique, good health, lots of energy, etc) and what I call some of the not so obvious (happy disposition, laughter, positive outlook, zeal for living, curious nature, etc.). Notice that I didn’t mention lack of wrinkles! If you look closely, even children have laugh lines when they smile…we must get over it ladies! It’s not the wrinkles making you look old. I think we must take a more well-rounded approach on our quest for youth!
External Fountain of Youth Tips
- Whiten Your Teeth – Over time all that coffee, wine and chocolate begin to take it’s toll on our pearly whites. If you haven’t whitened your teeth in a while go get some Crest White Strips and get an easy 5 years back! I find using the White Strips about every 3 months is really a game changer for your smile!
- Get a Fresh Haircut – If you’ve been sporting the same hairstyle for the past 10 years, it’s time for an update! Find out where all the 20 somethings go and make an appointment. Having a fresh hair style will make you feel AMAZING and is an easy way to reinvent your look.
- Consider Micro blading your Eyebrows – If you’re like me, and overplucked your eyebrows back in the 90’s than you may not have much in the eyebrow department. Mine are so sparse and light in color that they were almost non-existent. I took the leap a couple of years ago and had mine micro bladed. This is a semi-permanent tattoo that goes on in very believable hair like strokes. Eyebrows really frame your face and can easily make you look 5-10 years younger…not joking!
- Lose 10 pounds – If you want a HOME RUN for looking younger, than decide you’re going to lose at least 10 lbs. You WILL look and feel younger and everyone will say so. Weight gain as we age is so cliche. You don’t have to buy into if you don’t want to. If you want an easy program to follow, consider my Get Up & Glow Online Program!
- Get a Fun new Outfit – If you’ve been shopping at the same stores for a long time and keep buying the same black or gray clothes, it’s time for an update! I think after about 30 most of us should know the styles of clothing that suit our body shape the best but that doesn’t mean we can’t try new styles and colors. Maybe even try a funky print that can add a fun, youthful flair to your look. Go into H & M or the junior section of department stores to see what colors and looks are in. I think you’ll be surprised how a fun, new outfit can help you look more current but can also still be age appropriate if you’re concerned about that.
Internal Fountain of Youth Tips
Like I mentioned earlier, I think exuding youth is much more than just appearance alone. How much you laugh and smile, a positive outlook on life and still having dreams and goals keep us vibrant and alive. These are some ideas that I think can help keep us young in our minds and more importantly, our hearts.
- Be constantly curious – Read, study, learn…ALL. THE. TIME. Never stop seeking new knowledge and ways of looking at things. The sign of a youthful mind is openness. It’s when we get rigid and inflexible in our minds that we get old. Never think you know it all. Be an empty vessel.
- Do things for yourself – Being independent and being able to do things for ourselves is a confidence booster. We’re less afraid of being alone and can handle life’s challenges better when we know we can take care of ourselves, if need be. I’m not saying we don’t accept help from others but just don’t expect it. You never want to be in the position of “learned helplessness”. I am lucky to have a Dad that taught me to be pretty self sufficient at a young age. You’ll be doing your children a huge favor it you let them figure things out on their own sometimes.
- Always have a new dream or goal – I don’t care if you’re 90 years old, always have a goal you’re looking forward to! I think it’s when people stop dreaming that they just give up their zest for life and settle. Don’t do that, EVER! It doesn’t have to be giant, epic things either. Something as simple as choosing what flower seeds you want to plant in the spring or what new recipe you’ve been meaning to try. I truly believe this is a life altering way of living.
- Be a giving person – When we give away our time, energy, or money, we’re actually sending the signal to the Universe that we feel like we already have enough and we have extra to give away. This always returns to us in so many ways. Giving your time in helping someone makes you feel good about yourself. When you become a giver instead of focusing on what you’re getting, life becomes sweeter and more kind back to you. It’s a simple law of the Universe. Treat life and other’s as your friends and not your enemies and see how different it feels.
- Work on your spiritual growth journey – When you begin the journey inward and you begin to gradually realize what you really are, age and physical appearance begin to fade from importance. You just won’t allow petty, judgmental thoughts to run you anymore. You begin to make peace with death (yours and those you love) and how that’s really just an illusion in the ultimate sense. If you believe that life can be lived “On earth as it is in heaven” then life begins to lose it’s seriousness. If we’re all just passing through, maybe we should just relax and enjoy the ride a little more.
I hope you’ve enjoyed reading today! Please leave a comment below and SHARE with your friends! I appreciate you being here!