Would you believe me if I said I’ve been using skincare since about the age of 10? Well, it’s true! I come from a long line of skincare enthusiasts. In fact, my darling Aunt Rama Sue (shown below) had her own very successful skin care line and company for many decades. She and my mother both created, sold and promoted amazing skincare products during my entire childhood (read more on that here).
My Aunt and Mother would give educational classes and seminars teaching women how to take better care of their skin. I remember sitting in on these meetings soaking up all the beauty knowledge. Obviously, this stuff made a major impact on me as a young girl, as taking care of my skin has always been super important to me (read about my Fountain of Youth Formula here). As I said in the beginning, I was using cleanser, toners and moisturizers at the ripe old age of 10!
I always looked forward to our family’s Christmas gathering, as my Aunt Sue always made sure all the girls of the family went home with gifts containing the latest and greatest in her skincare line. It was awesome and so thoughtful!
The Eyes Have It
Although I’ve always had an interest in preserving my skin, it wasn’t until probably my mid-30s that I got really adamant about caring for the delicate skin around my eyes. I think we can all agree, the eyes are where we all begin to form our smile lines, crows feet and other first signs of sun damage or aging. The eyes kind of give away our age and it becomes super important to pay special attention to caring for this area. I’m a huge believer in prevention and here are some ways I recommend protecting those windows to your soul:
Ways to Care for Your Delicate Eye Area
- Wearing Protective Sunglasses – make sure to always wear glasses big enough to cover a large portion of the eye area. Think Audrey Heburn glasses! Leave the Ray-Ban aviators for someone else.
- Get used to wearing hats – If I know I will be outside for longer than about 10 minutes, I always have a wide-brimmed hat on. While walking, gardening, sitting out on a patio somewhere…make sure you have a hat on! Prevention is the best medicine here ladies! The delicate eye skin is super vulnerable to UV damage.
- Wear Sunscreen daily – I’ve been a daily wearer of sunscreen for at least 20 years. I wear it rain or shine and you should too! There are so many great formulations out there these days, there’s really no excuse not to find one you like. I’ve been using this one by Obagi for years now. It has an SPF of 50 and has a matte finish that goes on really smooth with no chalkiness. I’ve had no issues with breakouts or skin irritation from it either.
- Use high quality antioxidants – Most of us are aware of the benefits of what antioxidants can do for us internally but it’s also equally important for your skin to use them externally as well. I LOVE a good vitamin C serum and have been using this one from Obagi for many years. I’ve tried other cheaper brands but nothing has even come close to this Obagi vitamin C serum. It makes my skin firmer, clearer and just gives it a clarity that is very noticeable. I can definitely tell when I’ve run out of it! It’s a bit on the pricey side but I think worth it.
- A good moisturizer – Now on to the reason you’re here today. We all know it’s super important to keep the delicate skin around our eyes hydrated and moisturized. Of course you have many options from drugstore lines to pricey “break the bank” versions to choose from. My goal was to strike a balance between having a good product but also didn’t want to spend a fortune any more either. I’ve created my own DIY eye cream and want to share my all natural, firming eye cream that you can mix up at home. Let’s get to the recipe…
The Best Homemade Firming Eye Cream
This recipe only contains 4 ingredients and you probably already have some of these in the bathroom cabinet. My goal in making this was to have an all natural product with a high level of antioxidants but something that was also budget friendly. You may have a little bit of an investment up front, but you’ll be able to replenish your supply for a VERY long time with these ingredients. This has already saved me hundreds of dollars over the past year alone!
We’re starting with a base of your favorite all natural lotion or moisturizer. I bought this one from Shea Moisture since it’s an all natural brand with pure ingredients. I was using it for a body moisturizer but decided it could make a good base for my firming eye cream recipe. Now you may be wondering why we don’t just use the lotion on our eyes and move on. Well, since the skin around the eyes needs extra protection and nourishing, we’re going to take things up a few notches. Next we’re going to add some essential oils. I add the following oils:
Rose essential oil is known for its antiviral, antidepressant, antiseptic and astringent properties. It is one among the widely used flowers throughout the world and the oil extracted from this flower can benefit your skin. Essential oil from a rose is extracted by distillation of rose petals and is composed of hundreds of skin benefiting ingredients.
The next essential oil I use in my firming eye cream is Neroli oil. If you’re looking to buy some essential oils to add to your beauty routine, you’ll definitely want to consider neroli essential oil (this is the one I use). Neroli oil is a heavenly smelling oil derived from the orange blossom. It’s known for its ability to regenerate the skin cells and improve the elasticity of skin. It also helps maintain the right oil balance in the skin, making it an excellent choice for all skin types.
Due to its ability to revive skin at the cellular level, neroli essential oil can be beneficial for wrinkles, scars and stretch marks. Any skin condition caused by or related to stress should also respond well to the use of neroli essential oil since it has wonderful overall healing and calming abilities. It can also be useful for treating bacterial skin conditions and rashes since it has antimicrobial ability.
Homemade Firming Eye Cream Recipe
Grab a small container that has a lid. I use one left over from a drugstore eye cream I used up. I just cleaned it out and added my own mixture. Next add the following:
- Base of Your Favorite Natural lotion or moisturizer – Fill your container about 3/4ths the way full of your natural lotion or moisturizer of choice. I use this one from Shea Moisture. You can also find this at Kroger and Wal-Mart. Or just use any of your favorite all natural lotion or moisturizer as your base for this firming eye cream.
- Add 5-6 drops of Rose Essential Oil and 5-6 drops of Neroli Essential Oil
- Take about 3-4 Vitamin E capsules. These are the same capsules you would take orally, like these here. Puncture them and squeeze the Vitamin E into your mixture. The Vitamin E is also a powerful antioxidant and most store bought eye creams will contain this ingredient. This will also help in preserving the freshness of your eye cream.
Gently stir all the ingredients together and place the lid on. You’ve now made your very own homemade firming eye cream! How easy is that? I use this in the morning and also in the evening after cleansing. Just a few dots around the eyes should do the trick. Please make sure you don’t get it to close to your eyes and always be on the look out for any skin irritation. Definitely discontinue using if you feel any discomfort.
I hope you enjoy your new all natural and budget friendly firming eye cream. Please be sure to let me know if you try it. Thanks so much for reading! If you enjoyed this post, please SHARE it with your friends! Also, don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you won’t miss a thing! My goal is always to give you tips and ideas to help you create a “life you love!”