I thought the month of witches, ghosts and magical powers was the perfect time to dive into the topic of the secret power we ALL already possess. Some know they have it and can use it to their advantage while others seem oblivious that it even exists. What is this magical power that I speak of….your intuition! And today, I’m sharing with you how to strengthen and trust that inner voice that, once understood, never leads you wrong.
What is Intuition?
We’ve heard it called your 6th sense, a woman’s intuition or just a hunch. Maybe it’s a gut feeling, inner voice, or something you “just know.” Whatever you call your intuition, it’s the ability to understand something immediately, without the need for conscious reasoning. It’s a thing that you know from instinctive feeling rather than rational thinking.
I know that each and every one of us has been guided by our intuition many times in our lives. If you really stop and think about it, things have happened where you made a decision or took an action that turned out to be the EXACT thing that needed to be done. You didn’t have time to overthink it, you just knew what to do. Where does that come from? And more importantly, how can we learn to trust it even more?
How I Learned to Trust
I’ve been consciously developing my intuition since my mid-20s. For some reason, I began reading self-help and spiritual growth books. This was all very new knowledge to my young mind. The concepts and ideas I was reading were opening my eyes to a way of thinking that I knew nothing about. I began having thoughts and feelings of going a completely different direction than the path I was on. Listening to my gut was NOT going to be convenient or easy.
It was going to be a MAJOR life upheaval to listen to what my gut began telling me. All rational thought would have been to stay put in a life that I was deeply involved in. People were going to get hurt, things were going to be irreversible. The path was not yet clear but my inner voice was not whispering any more. I could no longer ignore it. I had to have the strength and take the leap of faith to follow a path that was being presented to me. The pain of staying the same had become greater than the pain of the unknown.
I’m not going to lie and say that following your inner voice doesn’t lead you into things that are painful. Oh Lord, is there some pain. Yes, there damn sure can be, and it may take you YEARS to fully understand what it was all for.
The more life experience you have, hopefully the more you begin to see that it is all happening FOR you, not TO you. One day you will look back and see the sheer precision of how your life was orchestrated and hopefully you can see the beauty of everything that has happened…pain and all.
The Inner Voice
There have been many other instances in my life where my “gut” feeling led me to take actions that turned out to be miraculous and magical. It can be simple things, such as knowing I’m about to find the perfect parking spot to much bigger things, such as selling my house and moving to another state because I just “felt” a strong urge or energy to do so.
The more I became conscious of these serendipitous happenings, the more I began to trust in this power that was guiding me. If you’re a spiritual person, you might call this the hand of God or your inner being.
I have developed a strong trust in this guidance. It doesn’t always make rational sense though. If you’re someone who has to think things to death, then letting go and trusting will be harder for you. For this to work, you have to let go of the illusion of control.
You need to accept that you’re not the one running this show. Letting go is the biggest obstacle most people have when deciding if they want to trust their inner voice. But the more you let go and just let life take you where it wants to, that’s where things get really magical!
Not Letting Tech Take Over
I think we can all agree that technology is rapidly replacing the use of our brain power. We’re slowly conditioning our minds to be lazy. We don’t have to remember anything anymore because our phones will tell us when it’s time to get up, when it’s our Grandmother’s birthday, how many steps we’ve taken and will even remind us to take a deep breath.
This artificial intelligence is not going away and will most likely become more “Jetson-like” as time goes on. We are all going along for the ride. However convenient, cool and handy all of this is, I believe we need to understand what we’re getting into and what we’re giving up.
We have to understand that our own intuition should never be surrendered to something outside of us. Whether that’s computers, phones, TV or social media, I’m a big believer that we need to stay aware of how all of this is impacting our lives and to use it with a healthy dose of skepticism.
I always like to say “you can play the game, but don’t buy in.” Always keep your own inner voice as your guidance, not something or someone outside you.
5 Ways to Develop Intuition
- Cut out or cut down on the TV – To hear your own inner voice you must get more silence. I stopped watching TV about 10 years ago and I’ve never looked back. There’s a reason it’s called TV programs. You’re being “programmed” to think, act and feel the way someone else wants you to.
- Turn off radio in your car – This can be uncomfortable at first but it’s VERY powerful. When you don’t have constant chatter, you begin to hear your own thoughts. It forces you to begin to realize your own thought patterns. What thoughts are really yours and which ones are you just getting from the chatter of the radio?
- Stop Mainstream Magazine & Newspaper subscriptions – When I began simplifying my life, I stopped all fashion, decorating and any other magazine that I felt was influencing my thoughts and opinions. The advertising is very powerful, yet subtle. We don’t even realize it’s shaping and molding how we feel about ourselves and our lives. The advertisers spend billions on trying to make you discontent so you’ll buy their products.
- Begin Listening More to How You Feel – If you have a decision to make, begin to tune in to how one decision feels over the other. Does one direction make you feel excited even though your rational mind thinks it doesn’t really make sense? Start with small things. You will begin to develop that trust the more you tune in to your “inner guidance” system. If it doesn’t feel “right” then it probably isn’t.
- Meditate Early in the Morning – The early morning hours have always been an amazing time to get insight and guidance. Your mind is still in a semi-sleep stage and is more open. Brain waves are more likely to be in an Alpha or Theta pattern. Our rational, thinking mind hasn’t gotten up to full speed yet, so there’s less resistance to wisdom that comes to you. Even 5-10 minutes of this quiet time can produce major advancement in your awareness.
These are all things I personally do and wanted to share with you today. I hope you’ll give them a try. What are things you do to cultivate your awareness and intuition? Please COMMENT below! Thanks so much for reading!
If you enjoyed this post, please SHARE IT with your friends! I would appreciate the support!
Oh and don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to the blog so you can get my FREE Healthy Eating Guide & Printable Shopping List! It’ll come straight to your inbox!
HOW CAN I HELP YOU!
See a list of my fitness & coaching services here.