You may have heard of the 7 Chakras before or maybe you’re completely new to this idea. The chakra system originated in India between 1500 and 500 BC in the oldest text called the Vedas. The chakra system was traditionally an Eastern philosophy. With the spread of it’s principles throughout Europe and the US, it has since become a more mainstream concept. The “new age” community has definitely taken to chakra balancing.
What is a Chakra?
The word chakra is defined as a spinning disk or wheel. A chakra on the human body is a spinning disc or wheel of energy that runs along the spine. There are 7 “main” chakras along the spine, though some say there are as many as 114 all over the body. The health of one’s chakras is directly connected to the health of the physical body, the mind, and the emotional well-being of a person.
The seven chakras are the main energy centers of the body. Think of them as pathways that promote harmony between the body, mind, and spirit. Blocked energy in our seven chakras can lead to distress, so it’s important to understand what each one represents and what we can do to keep it open and flowing freely.
Learning how to recognize and correct imbalances can lead to a greater sense of well-being. Each chakra has a front and a back, the front connecting to your emotions and the back connecting to your will.
Each also corresponds to a different part of your physical body. Problems with the chakras in the subtle body, which is the energy field that extends beyond your physical body, will eventually lead to health issues and injury.
The charkras’ coordinates are represented as a rainbow; red is earth and the colors get lighter as you move up into the atmosphere.
This chakra, also know as the root chakra, is located just below your stomach in the sacral area around the groin. This chakra is about feeling grounded and connected to the earth. It is the chakra of your most basic needs, what you must have in your life before you can begin to ascend to higher levels. When the first chakra is spinning, you feel safe, confident, and supported.
- Color: Red
- Corresponding glands: ovaries, testes
- Corresponding area: base of spine, tailbone area
- Symptoms of a stuck first chakra: feeling ungrounded, disconnected, survival issues, money, food
- To balance: Ground yourself. This means that you should connect with the ground, and feel it beneath you. Use the body and become aware of it. Do yoga, walk around the block, or do some manual house-cleaning. These activities let your body become known to you and will strengthen the chakra.
The second chakra is also know as the sacral chakra. This is the chakra of creativity. It governs creativity and sexual energy. It is located in your lower belly and allows you to create something out of nothing, giving birth to everything from children to artistic projects. When the second chakra is spinning, you feel a sense of abundance, well-being, pleasure, and at ease.
- Color: Orange
- Corresponding gland: pancreas
- Corresponding area: lower abdomen, about 2 inches below naval
- Symptoms of a stuck second chakra: feeling trapped, creative blocks, jealousy, resentment
This is your energy chakra and the source of your personal power. It is also called the solar plexus. It is what enables you to manifest your desires and is located in the center of your belly. When the third chakra is spinning, you feel energetic and driven, equipped with the will and confidence to go after what you want. This chakra is also associated with your self worth and self-esteem.
- Color: yellow
- Corresponding glands: adrenals
- Corresponding area: upper abdomen in the stomach area
- Symptoms of a stuck third chakra: feeling tired, frustrated, insecure
This is your heart chakra. The heart chakra is one of the most important chakras since it connects the bottom three chakras (associated with materiality) with the top three ones (associated with spirituality). As the name suggests, this chakra can influence our ability to give and receive love—from others and ourselves.
It is the seat of love, forgiveness, trust, and compassion and is located in the center of your chest. When the fourth chakra is spinning, you feel deep love for and connection with those around you. It is associated with love, joy and inner peace.
- Color: green
- Corresponding gland: thymus
- Corresponding area: center of the chest, just above the heart
- Symptoms of a stuck fourth chakra: feeling lonely, alienated, unable to forgive or accept forgiveness
This is the throat chakra and it rules your ability to express yourself. It governs communication, speaking, and writing. When this chakra is spinning, you feel that your voice is being heard and that you are empowered to speak your truth and ask for what you want.
- Color: blue
- Corresponding gland: thyroid
- Corresponding area: throat
- Symptoms of a stuck fifth chakra: feeling anxious about the opinions of others, unable to speak up for yourself, unable to speak your truth
The third-eye chakra speaks to our ability to see the big picture and connect to intuition (you may like my post about the magic of intuition here) Think of it as the eye of the soul: It registers information beyond the surface level. As we move up the body, we’re getting closer to communion with the divine.
Located in the center of your forehead, it governs your sixth sense and psychic abilities. The sixth chakra is your inner voice that guides you to trust your instincts. When it is balanced, you are able to tap in to your guidance without fear. It’s also associated with imagination and wisdom.
- Color: lavender
- Corresponding gland: pituitary
- Corresponding area: forehead, between the eyes
- Symptoms of a stuck sixth chakra: feeling doubtful, indecisive, unsure of what you want
The crown chakra, the highest chakra, represents our ability to be fully connected spiritually. When you fully open your crown chakra, you’re thought to access a higher consciousness—something very few people ever do!
When all of your other chakras are spinning, you connect to the source of all being and recognize your own divinity.
- Color: violet
- Corresponding gland: pineal
- Corresponding area: very top of the head
- Symptoms of a stuck seventh chakra: feeling materialistic and not living consciously
Ways to Balance the Chakras
Balancing chakras, or learning how to unblock chakras, can be approached in a wide range of ways. We’ll look at some of the most commonly used and the most powerful. You can use them in conjunction, or you can pick one or two that best suit your needs.
- Meditation – Meditating on the specific chakra you’re wanting to unblock can be extremely powerful. Visualizing the corresponding color in your mind’s eye and placing your attention on that area of the body can really get the energy flowing. Focus on what that chakra represents during your meditation.
- Affirmations – Write out a list of meaningful affirmations about the chakra you’re wanting to unblock and read them daily. Post positive words and phrases where you can see them and become more mindful of the change you’re wanting.
- Yoga – Begin a yoga practice at home or in a studio. Focus on particular poses for the chakra you’re needing help with. Feel free to ask your yoga instructor for specific poses for each chakra.
- Change your diet – Take inventory of your diet and consider adding certain colored food that corresponds to the chakra you’re wanting to get into balance. For example, if you’re wanting to balance your root chakra (red) you could add in more apples or raspberries to your diet.
- Massage corresponding body area with essential oils – You could also pick your favorite essential oil and gently massage the area of the chakra you’re wanting to unblock. This would be helpful combined with meditation afterwards.
Once you can tune into the location of your 7 chakras, you become adept at opening them and develop intuitions about blockages. Consequently, you can detect and solve problems as they arise before they have serious consequences to your well-being.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this overview of the 7 Chakras and ways to balance them! If you enjoyed this post, please SHARE it with your friends. Sharing is caring! 🙂
What about you? Are you in tune with your chakras? Let us know in the comments below!
You may also like my post, “The Magic of Intuition”
You may also like, “Is Spirituality Trending?“
Are you ready for a fresh start? Check out my online fitness programs!
Hear how my “Get Up & Glow” 7 Day Plan can give you a REBOOT!